International Children’s Book Day : 02 April 2016
International Children’s Book Day is celebrated on every 02 April, inspiring children’s to pick up a book and get reading. 02 April is Hans Christian Andersen’s birthday and since 1967 International Children’s Book Day has been celebrated on or around this day to inspire a love of reading and to call attention to children’s book.
The theme for 2016 is “Once upon a time” and the sponsoring country is Brazil.
It is sponsored by the International Board on Books for young people (IBBY).The Mission of IBBY is:
- to promote international understanding through children’s Book
- to give children everywhere the opportunity to have access to books with high literary and artistic standards.
- to encourage the publication and distribution of quality children’s books
- to provide support and training for those involved with children and children’s literature.
- to stimulate research and scholarly works in the field of children’s literature.
- to protect and uphold the rights of the child according to the UN convention on the right of the child.