REMEMBERING THE FATHER OF LIBRARY SCIENCES IN INDIA
SHIYALI RAMAMRITA RANGANATHAN
(12TH AUGUST 1892 – 27TH SEPTEMBER 1972)
Shiyali Ramamrita Ranganathan (12th august 1892 – 27 september 1972 ) was a mathematician and Librarian from India. His most notable contributions were his five laws of library science & development of the first major analytic-synthetic classification system, the colon classification. He is considered to be the father of library science, documentation, and information science in India. His Birthday is observed as the “ National Librarian’s Day” in india.
FIVE LAWS OF LIBRARY SCIENCE:
- BOOKS ARE FOR USE
- EVERY READER HAS HIS/HER BOOK
- EVERY BOOK HAS ITS READER
- SAVE THE TIME OF READER
- LIBRARY IS A GROWING ORGANIZATION
Dr. S.R.R was born on August 9, 1892 to Ramamritam Iyer and Sita Lakshmi Ammal at shiyali.He has a master degree in mathematics. He taught mathematics at presidency college in1921.In January 1924 Dr S.R.R took charge of the Madras University Library as University Librarian. Then he get six month certificate course in library science in London.
He started the Library Science Department in the year 1931 at Madras University. later he was professor of Library science at Banaras Hindu University (1945-47) and Delhi University (1947-55). He was chairman of the UGC Library commission &founded Indian National Scientific Documentation centre (INSDOC) in Delhi in 1950 and also started DRTC (Documentation Research and Training Center ) at Bangalore in 1962 under the auspices of the Indian Statistical Institute and promote the research activities in the field of Library and Information Science.
He was President of Indian Library Association (1944-1953). In 1957 he was elected an honorary member of the International Federation for Information and Documentation (FID).He was honoured with D.Litt. from Delhi University in 1948 and also D.Litt. from University of Pittsburgh.
The govt. Of India awarded Padmashri to Dr. S.R. Ranganathan in 1957 for his valuable contribution to library science.
FAMOUS BOOKS OF Dr.S.R.R
- FIVE LAWS OF LIBRARY SCIENCE (1931)
- COLON CLASSIFICATION (1933)
- CLASSIFIED CATALOGUE CODE (1934)
- LIBRARY ADMINISTRATION (1935)
- PROLEGOMENA TO LIBRARY CLASSIFICATION (1937)
- THEORY OF THE LIBRARY CATALOGUE (1938)
- ELEMENTS OF LIBRARY CLASSIFICATION (1945)
- CLASSIFICATION AND INTERNATIONAL DOCUMENTATION (1948)
- CLASSIFICATION AND COMMUNICATION (1951)
Dr. S.R.R was an editor of the following journals.
- Abigila(Indian library association 1949-53)
- Annals of Library Science” (1954- 63)
- Library science with a slant to documentation (194-72)
He founded the Sarada Ranganathan Endowment for library science in 1963.He was also nominated as “ National Research Professor of Library Science in” 1965.
He is remembered forever as “Father of Library Science” for his unique service in the field of library science .